Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Hosting

So far, so good. It's pretty easy to eat healthily when your only cooking for yourself. I've learned to keep crunchy granola bars stashed in my desk at work, as they're absolutely essential for mid-afternoon survival. Especially since the Evil Candy Basket still lives near my work area. I've also taken to bringing fresh fruit with me when I can remember to, and that seems to get me through the tough times even better.

Tonight I had the challenge of cooking for others, keeping the meal purely healthy, and cooking something quickly. True to my nature, I had pretty much forgotten I had invited my girlfriends over for dinner until I left work this afternoon. I also forgot that I had promised to serve a meal to demonstrate how yummy vegetarian food can be. So...what to make? Thinking about what I had at home, this is what I came up with:

Chunky veggie pasta:
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow bell pepper
1 zucchini
1/4 cup frozen peas
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
fresh basil
whole wheat pasta

Ok, so it wasn't the most gourmet meal, or even very creative, but it was light and colorful and worked well in a pinch. I paired it with a romaine salad, and fixed up a fresh batch of hummus as an appetizer. Of course, there's no limit to the possible variations for the pasta, it really just depends on what looks good in the produce section.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sparkpeople.com is good, too. It's FREE and has a vegetarian option. Breaksdown all your calories and nutrients for you so you know exactly what you're lacking or getting too much of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I accidentally deleted my first post. Basically it said I'll let you know what similar recipes I find. And that yours sounds good. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Find More Free Layouts at April Showers